Time to get to work on the interior, the combination of scraping the old sound deadening bitumen sheets off, and the sandblasting did a good job of getting to bare metal. The only areas left to deal with was removal of the factory sealant.. Glad i did as there was some runs of rust starting underneath.
Since i have previously used POR15 and had problems with it not stopping rust, i decided to give RustBullet a go. The advantage of Rustbullet is that it does not require as much surface preperation as POR, therefore no need to wash the car with metalblast, washing that off with water (which never sat right with me) prior to painting.
To Coat the interior with 3 coats with a brush, i ended up using 2.5L of the stuff
The paint went on quite well with a brush, and flowed out nicely to stop most of the brush marks. I criss crossed with the brush to ensure good coverage, after the first full coat, it took about 1hr for it to dry enough for the second and third coats
The final coat of Rust Bullet needs to sit for 24-48hrs to allow all the air bubbles to seep through the coats, but it then requires any top coat to be applied before 72hrs, otherwise a massive amount of extra prep-work is required. I decided to come back the next day to put a coat of epoxy on top.
The Next Day, i taped up any holes (in hindsight, i should have done this properly before the rust bullet but i just wanted to get it done- along with taping up any bolt holes and bolts in the bodywork), and sprayed white epoxy over the top. After 3 applications of Epoxy, it looks pretty good!!
I haven’t had a chance to do a full inspection in the daytime (it was dark by the time i finished spraying), though i know the bolts in the firewall has excess RustBullet runs on the threads, and a small section in the rear (maybe the size of a 50c piece) obviously didn’t dry enough between coats of RustBullet which has left a big air bubble underneath.
I am planning to use the remaining Rust Bullet to spray inside the frame rails (followed by epoxy).. shame i haven’t found a place in Sydney that sells it, because shipping is relatively expensive, and i probably only need another 500ml.
After re-sealing, I am tossing up either spraying underbody deadener on the floor pan then colour, or colour, then sound deadening sheets (dynamat or similar)